Sunday, October 11, 2009

And so the Adventure Begins!




I haven't mentioned this on my blog but Sharon and I have been planning a trip to Costa Rica for quite some time. I have the next week off school for Fall Break. So, after what I might call a hellish week (4 midterms, 3 quizzes, 2 labs, and 2 online assignments due) today was finally the day!

We left for the airport at 7 am to find out our plane was delayed an hour, could have used that extra hour of sleep :) Then flew to Denver, then Atlanta and finally landed in San Jose Costa Rica. While waiting for our baggage to arrive we hear our names called over the intercom. I was at the Currency Exchange counter trying to get us some money and when I looked over at Sharon the look on her face was priceless. Well, only one of our bags actually arrived in Costa Rica. The care package I am delivering to Katie's bother in law who is serving his mission. Seriously no luggage! It should be arriving tomorrow sometime after 12pm. So our plans to attend church with Elder Robinson are canceled :(

We finally made it out of customs and proceeded to the car rental counters to discover that the company we reserved a car with had decided to close the counter early tonight. It was frustrating to say the least. We talked to a few people and then the guys in charge of the Taxi's. I had a feeling that we should just wait a minute to make a decision. And then walks in the Hertz car rental guy. Turns out at this hour of the night we had to take a shuttle in town a little way to get the car. This is the point I became worried about what driving in Costa Rica might be like. A man on the plane told us we should have rented a 4X4 because all the pot holes cause flat tires quite often. He new of someone who got 3 in one trip! Then the car rental guy advised us it would come in handy to purchase tire and windsheild insurance with the rental. Hmmmm I might have some interesting flat tire stories to tell in the next few days. The best part of the car rental experience was when I was looking through the spanish to english book was have and told Sharon she was "muy frustrado". Maybe you just had to be there but it was pretty funny.
With the help of GPS we eventually made it to our hotel. We had more than a few wrong turns on the way and probably would have never made it without the GPS. Thank the heavens for modern technology! Our hotel is super nice, so that was very refreshing. The front desk guy helped us figure out the money situation and a few problems with our car. We are tired! I want my toiletries! Luckily I packed a few changes of clothes in my carry on. All I can say is that I will be a much happier camper when my luggage arrives!



On the bright side we have an amazing view of HOOTERS outside our hotel window :)



Then we discovered our curtains don't close all the way so Sharon came up with a solution..... a hair clip!

4 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

Oh no! I guess it is an adventure. The hairclip is a genius idea. I hope that it turns out better then it began.

Unknown said...

Oh the fun begins! Hopefully things will go smoother from here on out. Love you!

Adrienne Hansen said...

What a start to a vacation! Things will get better-I'm sure! You girls have a lot of fun!!!

Tammy said...

I'm trying to feel sorry for you, but seriously, in Costa Rico without your luggage is still better than home with a closet full of clothes. Have fun, they'll never know you wore the same thing yesterday. BTW, I'm still jealous.