Monday, July 05, 2010

I need to catch up!

There have been tons of fun and exciting things going lately and I have done a terrible job of keeping up with everything. The goal for this week (and maybe some of next) is to catch up. So, today the short version on what's new around here.

My mom came for a nice long visit. It was so great to have Grammy and Becca here. We always look forward to every minute we get to spend with them. We did tons of fun stuff and of course lots of the usual laughter and craziness :)

Adam, Ava and I went up to my Dad's on Friday for a BBQ and to watch the Logan fireworks. Didn't take one picture, dang. But we had a great time! It was about time that Adam meet some more of the family. It was a super fun night! I don't get up to my Dad's nearly enough.

I got released from my church calling two Sunday's ago. I have been in YW for 5 years so I have some mixed emotions about this change. My first thought was that I don't know how to do anything but be in YW, but then again maybe it will be good to broaden my horizons a little. I taught my last lesson on Sunday. It was bittersweet. I have come to love those girls so much and will miss seeing them and teaching them, but mostly I will miss the ways in which they strengthen me and make me better. My new calling is teaching Sunday school to the 12 and 13 year olds. I am so happy that I still get to teach and even more happy that my new calling was not in primary or even better not in the nursery :)

I get to speak in sacrament meeting on Sunday. I haven't done this since I was a teenager. Ya, I know, its probably time. Should be an interesting experience for sure. I get to speak on Elaine S. Daltons conference talk in 2008 titled A Return to Virtue. Bro. Savage said my name came right to mind when he came across the talk and that he thought I would have great insight on the topic. Okie Dokie then. I can only hope that I will be guided and directed as I prepare and speak.

Ava is taking a somewhat spur of the moment trip to California on Saturday. She will be spending the week in Corcoran with her Grandparents. She will have a great time I am sure, but I am feeling a little sad about her leaving :( But I am sure I will find plenty of stuff to fill up the free time with.

I have been reading a TON lately. I read a whole book in the last 24 hours. I am loving this. There is nothing like getting caught up in a great story. I have some suggestions if you are looking for a good read:

The Maze Runner by James Dashner. Loved this book! It is the first in a trilogy and I can't wait for the second book to come out in December
Unwind by Neal Shusterman. This was somewhat different than anything I have read before, but I liked it.
Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. These books are geared toward a younger audience but my attention was sparked after see a pre view for the movie. I just finished book 4 and I am loving these books. They are quick reads and would be fun to read out loud to your kiddos :)
And, if you haven't read the Hunger Games, DO IT! They are totally awesome, really, best books I have read in a long time

2 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

I was in Young Womens for two years and loved every second of it. When I was released I was called into Primary and I was not happy, but then ended up loving the calling and the special women that I was serving with. I am now Sunday School teacher and teach the 14 year olds. It is so much fun, but a huge learning experience. I am not a gospel scholar at all and I really do not know much about the Old Testament so I use a lot of help from the internet. I get ideas from www.latterdayvillage.com also and it helps a ton. Good luck!!!

Anna said...

I'll check out those books, I've been having a drought lately. Good luck on speaking in church on Sunday. :) You'll do great!