Friday, July 09, 2010

The last two Wednesdays....

Katie and I have decided to take our kids some place fun every Wednesday. This week we went to the fountains at the Gateway. The kids had a great time.



Then last Wednesday Katie and I just went to the park with the kids cause the weather was "interesting". She dropped me off at home to grab a few things and then I was going to spend the rest of the afternoon at her place. I needed to make some cookies for my ward BBQ that night so I was just going to grab the cookie dough and head out. I had all the stuff I was going to need in my arms and as I was walking out the door I thought to stop and grab a container to put the cookies in. I put everything down, grabbed a container, loaded my arms again and headed out. As I was setting everything in the front seat of my car I heard the scariest sound. It sounded almost like a trailer had come unhitched or something, but I knew that whatever had happened was not going to be good. I grabbed my phone and half ran up the hill. Upon reaching the corner I discovered that Yukon had cut across traffic, plowed through the chain link fence of my neighbors fence and hit the tree in the front yard head on. The driver was young high school aged boy, and had gotten out and was sitting on the grass. I immediately dialed 911 to get some help. The driver seemed to be all right but as I am sure you can imagine very shaken up and in shock. Turns out that he had been working out and had blacked out for while driving. I talked to him later that night and he said that he came to just as he was crashing through the fence. After emergency help had arrived I went to my car and leave. As I sat down in my car the thought came to me that if I hadn't stopped to grab that container, I would have been in the intersection and been hit. It was just a matter of seconds that I was not right in his path. There were many small miracles that happened surrounding this incident. I am thankful that all involved were being watched over.
This is where he went in. I still can't believe he didn't hit the power pole on the corner. Probably missed it by inches. When the car went through the fence one of the poles went through the windshield. Luckily it went through on the passenger side and that there were no passengers in the car. I don't know how the car made it over the drop in this part of the yard. It seems almost impossible when you look at it.

7 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

Oh my goodness, how scary. I had a similar story a couple of years ago where one of my residents stopped me in my car just before I pulled out onto the road and if I had not been stopped, I would have been involved in a pretty similar crash. It is great to know that there are angels watching out for us when we need them the most.

heidi said...

it amazing to sit back and look at the miracles that take place in our lives.
so glad that you weren't hit!

Grammy said...

I am thankful that a parent's prayers are answered when we pray that our children will be safe. It is such a simple request, and I don't think we realize what goes into having that prayer we so easily utter answered so completely.

Anna said...

Holy cow, it looks worse in person! Glad you guy are ok!

Unknown said...

glad we like cookies.....

Chris Grover said...

how scary julie. thank goodness for the spirit to keep you safe! looks like you guys are taking advantage of some good summer time!

Unknown said...

I really regret not getting our girls together to play, they would have been instant BFF's - alas, they will have to be penpals when they are 10 :).

I'm really glad you went to grab that container, because wow WOW WOW!!! The spirit is protective!