Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Parents!


I love this picture.  To me it is priceless.  It is not very often that I get to be with both of my parents.  It was oh so very special to be in the temple with both of them.  I have been thinking a lot about the importance of parents and family.  I am so blessed to have grown up in a home where my parents taught me so many important things.  I have been reflecting on how my relationship with each of my parents has changed through out the years.  In my childhood I thought that were perfect and new everything.  I looked up to them and thought they could do no wrong.  As a teenager I thought they were a little embarrassing and had no clue about anything (because like I most teenagers, I knew everything).  I though that they just wanted to keep me from being happy and doing what I wanted to do at the moment.  I couldn't wait to break free of them and have my own life and my own rules.  It wasn't until I was faced with being a parent myself that I finally "got it".  My parents don't know "everything" but they sure now a lot more than me.  They have great insight and experience from there own triumphs and failures in their own lives.  I learned that they love me more than words can even explain and that all they have ever wanted for me was to be truly happy.  I am so truly blessed by there love and hard work as parents.  My parents have taught me some very important lessons!  They taught me the gospel.  And when I wasn't choosing to live by gospel standards they still loved me and most importantly they never changed their standards.  They just prayed for me and were ready to help me change when the time was right.  They taught me the importance of being a hard worker, setting goals, and never settling for less than being the best I could.  They taught me to have fun, how to serve others, how to love, and how to forgive.  They gave me my two best friends, Katie and Becca.  I have to learned that despite their faults they are both wonderful people that I could not make it without.  I have a very different relationship with each of my parents.  I love them and give thanks for each of them everyday!  I am so blessed by having both of them in my life.  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great and generous post. We did win the "parent" lottery. It could have been a lot worse. I love our parents so much too and I am glad we all have good relationships with each other.

Grammy said...

Oh my Jewels! How I love you, and I am the one that is blessed to have my beautiful children entrusted to me. I just hope that I have been the kind of parent that Heavenly Father wanted me to be to you three precious girls. all I ever wanted in life was to be the "mom." One thing for sure - I do love you more than words can say - and I love you no matter what! You can bank on that! Thank you for being so forgiving. There are many things that could have been done better, or differently, I'm sure, but just remember that we did our best under the circumstances. Your happiness is so important to me, and I am ver proud of the woman you are today and always.

mandy said...

Julie I am so excited for you. I wish I could have been there. The temple is such a wonderful blessing. Congrats. You look so awesome you need to give me your secret. I finally decided to get with the times and have a blog. It is gibbonsfamily-mandy.blogspot. you will have to check it out. I hope to see you at the fireworks. Man Ava is getting so big. She is so beautiful.

Allan and Diane said...

Julie I enjoyed your tribute of love to your parents. Having known all of you for ALL of your life I am so thankful for the mature and Christlike love that you have for your mom and dad. You have such a wise perspective on life and a large and forgiving heart. I love you Julie and so admire the brave steps you are taking in your "new" life.

Patty said...

It was really precious reading your very sweet thoughts about your parents.
Today I was working on getting information for this Branch History. I read the talk that your Father gave at the groundbreaking. It brought back many great memories and a renewed love and appreciation for the sacrifice and dedication that your Parent's, the Cox, and Asplund's, ect. gave to make our Branch possible. It has been such a blessing to our family and so many others.
I have learned from them the importance of service, leadership, loving the scriptures, and the temple. They gave so much and I'm grateful for them.
You do have wonderful Parents. What a special day it must have been for them.

Patty said...

Oops I can't forget the Specht's. I guess they were the parents of the Branch. They added so much and Rhondaleen kept such an awesome history.