Sunday, May 02, 2010

You Can Do Anything..........


I finished school on Friday, I am a college graduate. It will really be official on Friday, but can you believe it? I can't. I am a college graduate. Wow! I never thought it would happen. Well, I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel two and half years ago when I made the choice to go back to school. It's funny how life changing choices are made. I was talking to my Dad on the phone one day, and he just randomly says "I think you should go back to school, I will help you do it." I didn't agree right that moment but the suggestion was there in the back of my mind. I would get up and go to work day after day, spending 50+ hours there a week. In some ways I loved my job, and other ways I hated it with a passion. My feet and back ached everyday, I dropped Ava off at 7 and picked her up at 6. I was missing her life. What was the point of working such long hours to be missing the most important and best days of my life? So, I applied, got accepted, filled out more paper work for financial aid, got approved for financial aid, gave notice at my job, and then in January 2008 I started school. It was not as easy as it sounds. I will never forget the way I felt the first few weeks of school and when I got my last pay check. TERRIFIED. I wondered what I was thinking, and I was feeling so much self doubt. But guess what, the peace came. I knew I was making the right choice, for me and for Ava. Now, it is done, and the next chapter of my life is waiting to unfold. Once again, I am TERRIFIED. But more than anything I am happy, excited, and thankful.
When I got pregnant with Ava I didn't really know what to expect from my future. I just thought I would get a job, and make things work. But getting my college education seemed to drop off my radar for awhile. I was blessed to move up the ranks in my job, and make a good living. But it wasn't fulfilling me the way I needed it to after awhile. Going back to school happened for me when the time was right. I have learned more than what my professors have taught me. I have re-learned who I am. Most importantly I have been given a priceless gift. I have been present in Ava's life. No more 11 hour days with someone else. Priceless. Irreplaceable. I have also learned that Anything is possible, with the right attitude, the right support group, with enough hard work and perseverance, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!

8 comments:

Anna said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are my role model!

Unknown said...

I think you have forgotten how much Ryan and I used to beg you to go back to school too- and you used to say no and we wondered why you were so crazy. I am glad you did it- now, I know you can do the next thing that will be good for you too.

Ryan and Mandi said...

I am truly so happy for you and I am grateful you've trusted me to watch Ava every once in a while. I know you will be great at whatever you do. Ava is lucky to have such a brilliant and strong role model to look up to. Congrats!!!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you got someone to fix the photo - sorry, life swamped, SORRY! Anyhow, CONGRATS!!! JULIE!!!!! YAYAYAY! Seriously, WHAT AN ACCOMPLISMENT! You go girl! :)

Becca's Bologna said...

Congrats julie! im so proud of you! your such an awesome person. Im glad i have you as a role model :)

Grammy said...

I am so glad you went back to school. I remember talking to you about it often, saying it would be easier sooner than later. So glad you did it! I am so proud of you! Congratulations on a great accomplishment. I can't wait to see you walk across that stage!

Sharon said...

We are so proud of you! It hasn't been easy, but life just isn't easy - in case you haven't figured that out by now :) Keep plugging along. Things will all work out for the best. We love you! Brad & Sharon

Rachel said...

You look so beautiful in your Cap and Gown. Congratulations Julie, what an amazing accomplishment and a GREAT example of courage for your daughter. Doors will open and you will find your way because of the dedication to finishing it. Can't wait to give you a hug.