Monday, January 25, 2010

Five years ago......

The fact that it has been five years since I moved to good old Utah has been weighing heavily on my mind the last few weeks. It has become the way that I measure time. Like I have a life before five years ago and then the life I have now. I feel like things have almost come full circle with that huge, drastic, life changing move. I didn't have much of a plan, didn't know what would happen with my life, didn't have money or a job, didn't really even have a place to live that I could call "home". All I knew is that my life needed to change, and in a BIG way. And that is has. I can't even describe how excited I am about walking across that stage and getting my degree. I don't even know how I am going to do it without crying and making a fool of myself. It isn't even the happiness of graduating, but more the feeling that I am not a failure after all and that I have managed to beat the odds given to me in my situation. I also think it is cool that Ava will remember the event. It just makes it that much more special to me. It hasn't been the easiest road to travel, and I have definitely not done it alone, but seriously, looking back I have been the HAPPIEST I have ever been in my life. EVER. All though there have been hard days, and hard choices, and lots of hard work, it has all been worth it. The other night I was sitting in my apartment and looked around and thought, wow, who would have ever thought? I have been blessed beyond even my own comprehension. This single Mom thing has definitely been harder than I ever imagined it would be. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but honestly I am comforted daily in knowing that things will keep working out if I do what I know is right and keep on keeping on. I can't believe Ava is growing up so fast. She doesn't even have any baby look left. She is so smart, well adjusted, out spoken, inquisitive, funny, loving, sassy, and the list can go on and on. But really, she never ceases to amaze me. She wants me to be a better person and I am a better person because I am her Mom. Life is truly good! Here's to the next five years...... can't wait to see where they take me :)

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm so glad you made the decision to come here and bless us with you and your darling daughter. We love you guys and are so grateful to call you our friends.

Look out the best is yet to come for you...you're amazing.

Rachel said...

I miss you! Thanks for following my life on the blog. I am so proud of you for making that leap of faith and moving to Utah. I was and IS the best place for you and sweet Ava. You are amazing!