Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lazy? I think not......

Women do not have to sacrifice personhood if they are mothers. They do not have to sacrifice motherhood in order to be persons. Liberation was meant to expand women's opportunities, not to limit them. The self-esteem that has been found in new pursuits can also be found in mothering. -Elaine Heffner

I randomly came across this quote the other night and love it. This morning I was feeling lazy for having spent and hour and a half just cuddling on the couch with Ava. There are a ton of things I need to get done today, so I was feeling guilty for "wasting time". But then I remembered that my days of cuddling with her this way are becoming limited. I will be working again soon, she is growing so fast, she will be in school before I know it, and sadly enough she might out grow wanting to be held like that. So, I am going to take advantage of every opportunity to cuddle her, read books to her, play go fish with her, tuck her in at night, make all her meals, answer her questions, and tell her I love her with kisses on her cheeks, because soon enough she will out grow all of those things. I am going to enjoy being a mother, because it really is the best thing I will ever be and the best thing I could ever do with my life. It is a central part of my "personhood".

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this quote. Sometimes I feel like people look down on me for being a stay at home mom- but I think it is important, and no not always glamorous and fun but I am trying to enjoy it more and cherish it because I know the days go by too quickly.

Beth and Chad said...

The thing that bugs me the most about a lot of "moms" is that they lose their identity and everything becomes about their child/children and a lot of them end up resenting their kids. It has been one of the biggest deterrents of having children for me. I rejoice in the moms who work, have social lives, and still enjoy their children and the joys of being a mother and wife. Thanks for sharing that quote!

Grammy said...

For me personally, I never got the satisfaction and joy in life from anything else more than being the "mom." That is all I ever wanted. I have certainly had my share of other pursuits, yet still nothing is more fulfilling that making a nice dinner for my family, sitting around the table and actually talking to my teenagers. I love spending time with you, Katie, Becca and the grandkids. NOTHING is better!