Saturday, September 11, 2010

What's the lesson?

First, I just want to say that I am LOVING my job. I am feeling like everything in that part of my life is coming full circle (at least for now) and it feels really good. Its like 3 years ago I didn't really know what I wanted out of the professional part of my life and then I went back to school, learned a ton about myself and the world around me, and made some career goals. Now, after the past 2 weeks at my job, it all feels right.
The day of my graduation I wanted to arrive in plenty of time for my family to have good seats and to make sure I was where I needed to be etc,. Well, I was in time to see the end of the graduation before mine. I was standing in the back feeling an array of emotions, but when that graduating class stood up and everyone clapped I was overwhelmed with the most peaceful warm feeling and in that moment I knew that all was good. That I had done the right thing at the right time in my life, and that it was good. But that it was time to move on and that the next step would work out too. It was overwhelming to feel the spirit that strong at such a big moment in my life. I have had a ton of anxiety over this transition but at the same time I have had an undescribable peace that everything would work out, and it has. Does it get any better than that?

Today I got to go of campus with the girls on my team. We went bouldering and rock climbing at this really cool place in Ogden called The Front. I had a great time! It was fun to get to know the girls on my team. The girls are in a pretty intense theraputic environment and are all working on an array of problems. There have been times the past two weeks where I have had to choke back tears as I see them struggle and hear some of their stories. Some of them have gone through things I can't even imagine facing as a teenager. I just want to hug them tight, but I can't and sometimes it hurts my heart not to be able to. I look forward to their graduation days so that I can actually hug them.
At the end of our day we gathered in a group and the rec staff that was with us today asked everyone to go around and talk about something they struggled with while climbing today that can be related to the problems they are working on in their personal lives. It was so interesting to hear their thoughts and points of view. I couldn't help but think that this is the exact thing I have been working on in my own life lately. What can I learn from my experiences and trials? WHAT IS THE LESSON I AM SUPPOSED TO LEARN?
That is the question I have been pondering lately. It is the question I am asking my Heavenly Father A LOT. What is the lesson? What am I supposed to be learning? More directly I want to know the answer to these questions in relation to being single. Why is it taking so long? Why does it feel so hard and so impossible? I try not to talk about it a ton, but in reality it is a really big challenge in my life. I am lonely and I hate that I am missing out on so many things I wanted out of life. But, I am thinking that if I can just learn the lessons that I am supposed to be learning then I will be ready when the time is right. I have learned tons about myself the last 5.5 years I have been walking in my single mom shoes. I think I just might have caught on to the biggest lesson I need to learn (and maybe all of us, just in different ways) is that I can't lose faith. I can't throw a fit and give up on believing and knowing that when the time is right I will be blessed. I have to have FAITH. It sounds so simple, but yet sometimes it is so hard. I had a really big "thing" happen in my life last week, and there was a moment when the thought crossed my mind to just give up and lose my faith BUT I am not going to do it! I am going to prove that I can endure this trial until the Lord decides I have passed the test.

3 comments:

Becca's Bologna said...

Im so glad that you are loving your job. Julie you are seriously so amazing and I love you so much. I couldn't have a better sister.

Janessa Couch said...

Your post made me really think about my life and ponder the same things and I thank you for that. As Becca said, you are amazing! Whatever your trial, I know you will make it through and be stronger because of it.

Tricia said...

I understand what you wrote so well. Somedays I wonder if we ever reach a point where our tests don't feel so constant and overbearing...then I just keep mowing through and stop thinking about it and just leave it to my prayers xoxoxo You are awesome and I admire and respect you more than I could express :-*