Monday, February 11, 2008

On Family

Family is defined as:
 a group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head : household: a group of persons of common ancestry : clan : a people or group of peoples regarded as deriving from a common stock : race: a group of people united by certain convictions or a common affiliation : fellowship: the basic unit in society traditionally consisting of two parents rearing their childrenalso : any of various social units differing from but regarded as equivalent to the traditional family family>  spouse and childrenfamily>the staff of a high official (as the President).  I though all of these were quite accurate. Now, you might be thinking okay this is random, but last week in one of my social work classes we discussed families.  My teacher asked many questions like:  Who is in your family? Describe your family?  What do you do with your families?  My family is great because? Sometimes my family is?  The biggest problem facing American families today?  These questions have really been on my mind all week. Family.  It is such a wonderful blessing and sometimes our greatest challenge.  I have been thinking about all the people who make up my family.  I am so truly blessed to have such wonderful people in my life who I consider "family".  Here are a few interesting fact about family from on of my social work books.  The family is recognized as humanity's basic institutions.  Sociologists, social workers, psychiatrists, anthropologists, lay leaders, and average citizens agree that the family is fundamental to society.  No other established patten has been found more effective in molding the personality of children and adults.  Social, personal, and emotional ties inhere more intimately in this relationship than in any other social dimension.  I thought these were pretty powerful facts!  I agree with them completely.  My new goal is to do an entry about all the people in my "family" and what they mean to me and how they contribute to my life.  I think that it will be fun and interesting.  Who is in your family and what do they mean to you?

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Oh yes! Family is the most important institution on this earth. Why do you think satan is trying so hard to destroy the family by endorsing things like abortion, gay marriage, living together instead of getting married, and more. Did you get a chance to see the world leadership training meeting for all adults in the church last Saturday. They totally focused on the family - a proclamation to the world. Read the proclamation. Try to see or read the text from the presentation. It is amazing! I am so glad to be part of your family, and that you are part of mine. You have totally blessed my life. It is a privilege to be your mom, friend and eternal sister. I love you so much!