Monday, April 21, 2008

A new set of eyes


This semester I took a social welfare class.  I am so glad that it is a required class for my major! I have thoroughly enjoyed every second of this class and it has changed the way I look at myself, my family, my neighbors and basically people and the world in general.  I will openly admit that I have had a very apathetic attitude, until know.  I have never been actively involved in politics because honestly I just didn't think that it would make a difference in the world.  My teacher, Jen, has inspired me beyond words.  I knew that I was going to either have to step up or step out from the first day of class.  I took the challenge and decided to find my passion and find a way to stand up and make a change.  I think that biggest thing that I have learned about myself is that I have passion and that I have just never had the courage to embrace it.  I am still deciding what my passion will be in the field of social work but I have learned one thing and that is my passion right now is for my family.  And what better place to start changing the world!  I have the world of a beautiful and precious beyond the realm of my imagination 3 year old in my home.  I have the responsibility to teach her how to find her own passion and how to make a difference in the world she lives in.  That is the best way for me to make a difference in the world.  It is my belief that one of the most important things I can teach her is that she has the world at her feet and that she can do and be anything she wants and the best way for me to teach her that is for her to see me doing it! There have been many topics discussed in class that have stirred great emotions.  Racism, Social Justice, Social Reformers, Poverty, Policy, Immigration, Health Care and many more.  I was extremely moved by the lecture on immigration last week.  We watched a documentary "Mojado".  It has really given me a different perspective on so many things.  The documentary follows the plight of four men crossing the border into Texas.  It started with giving back ground on each of the men and the reason why they wanted to come the U.S. for work.  Then it followed them on their journey.  It was a four day journey through the desert through rain, freezing temperatures, drinking contaminated water, eating moldy bread, being pricked by cactuses, and not know if they would really reach their destination.  I can't even imagine what these men were willing to go through just for the chance of providing a better life for their families.  It kept showing one man thinking of the face of his daughter when things were getting tuff and every time her face came on the screen the only thing I could think of was the face of my sweet Ava.  I feel like I understood what this men where willing to sacrifice for their families.  I still don't have the solution to the problem of immigrants in our country but I do know one thing is that every single person we come into contact should be treated with integrity and respect.  That is the best place to start.  We all need to take a step back and take a walk in the shoes of someone else before we decide how we view them.  So, here is my question to you:  What would you be willing to walk through the dessert with no food or water for? What would you do for the chance to change the life of another?  What's your passion?
Thanks Jen for helping me to see myself in a different light.  And even more importantly thank you for helping to see the world in a different light!

4 comments:

Amy said...

great post Julie. i think family is very easy to be passionate about. but you're right, there are so many big causes in the world to be involved in and it's great to have our eyes opened to that.

Unknown said...

Great post and insight. You are such a great person and will help improve so many lives. I look up to you in so many ways. I would walk through the desert for you any day. I have similar passions to you. I too feel compassion towards people who might be a little different than the "norm" or the accepted norm. Don't be afraid to fulfill your destination.

Chris Grover said...

it's such a blessing to have these kinds of experiences that help us become better people. i had a few courses like that in college that had such an impact on me and how i viewed the world. thanks for sharing and reminding me about keeping perspective! hope school is going well for you, jules!

Grammy said...

It is interesting when we can see life through a different perspective. I sometimes think that our own religious culture limits our ability to do that. Sometimes it takes something like a class or a film to open our eyes to the realities around us. There is nothing I could ever be more passionate about than my 3 beautiful girls, and my adorable grandchildren, and my marvelous husband - and his children. Truly family is the most important thing. I love you so much, and I am so proud of you for going back to school. I know what a difficult decision this was for you, but it has certainly been a great thing. Keep up the good work, Jewels.