Wednesday, February 04, 2009

It was one of those days....

You know those kind of days where everything seems to be wrong.  Well that was yesterday.  I woke up late, again.  I am blaming this new regular occurrence on the new bed and sheets. I just can't seem to drag myself out of that heavenly place.  I am also sure that the cold weather is contributing as well.  We are scheduled to leave the house at 8 every morning and waking up at 7:15 is not acceptable.  It results in way too much rushing for a four year old to happily endure. We made it out the door close enough to on time, but Ava didn't have her hair combed or her teeth brushed.  Bad Mommy!
As I was driving down the street to school I saw three cute little girls running down the hill to school.  One of them fell so hard I don't know how her feet didn't topple over her head.  I slowed down enough to notice that she was crying hysterically.  The mother in me said you better stop and help.  So I did.  This poor girls hands were just scraped to pieces.  I got some wipes from my car and helped her clean off some of the blood and dirt and then dried her tears.  They were all just staring at me like I was a crazy lady, but I couldn't just drive by.  I told myself that that is what I would want someone to do for my sweet girl, so even though I was feeling really rushed for time I stopped to help and felt better about myself for it.
I some how made it to my class on time and suffered through a rather boring political sociology class.  I can't even tell you one thing I learned during that hour and a half because after a certain point I stop listening and my mind wonders.  Lucky for me the tests in that class are take home. Whew!  After my Women and Crime class, which is always interesting, I decided to ditch Research Methods and go home for lunch instead.  When I managed to remember where I had parked I got in to discover that the stupid thing wouldn't start.  My first reaction was "am in the right car?"  Stupid I know, but I really did look around to make sure I was really in my car. Next I checked the lights and sure enough in all my rushing I had left them on.  My car was completely dead.  I stepped outside of my comfort zone far enough to ask a few people passing by if they had jumper cables, but everyone just looked at me like I was crazy and said no.  So, I called Brad and he drove all the way up to help me.
Seriously I don't know what I would do with out people who are willing to sacrifice their time to help me.  Brad finally got there and after some sweat and breaking up of snow drifts and ice we got the cars close enough that we could connect the jumper cables.  But, my car wouldn't budge.  The battery was done.  We headed down the road to buy a new battery and some tools.  Ninety-two dollars and two hours later, I was back in business.  I am proud to say that I didn't even cry, not once, because the "old" me would have cried.  I hate having car issues, it makes me feel so helpless!  Big thanks to Brad for helping me!!!
While driving home I just started feeling gross.  I am happy to say that that is all it turned out to be, just feeling gross.  The rest of the day was pretty neutral, but the morning and afternoon left me tired and drained.  Hopefully I will not be leaving my lights on again any time soon!  I think I learned my lesson on double checking things and not being so rushed that I leave my brain behind!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I am so glad that Brad was in a position to leave his store and help you. I felt so helpless when you tried calling me cuz I was doing a training and couldn't leave. Thank goodness for Brad!

Grammy said...

What a day! I know Brad is your guardian angel (Sharon too!). And I think that you stopping to help the poor little girl that fell is the sweetest thing ever! You were HER guardian angel for just a minute. That's what it is all about - helping others.

mandy said...

Way to be a good samaritan. It always seems like when you wake up late and start the day off in a hurry nothing ever goes your way.

Janet said...

Can you believe mortality. Sometimes nothing goes right and it is always when you are in a hurry. It is hard to slow down and remember that we are to "be of good cheer".