Thursday, November 20, 2008

How do you see it?

I went to the airport yesterday. As I walked in I was instantly hit with excited energy. There were two huge family crowds waiting right outside security. The conversation was excited and tear filled. There were signs, banners and balloons. One family had all ready greeted their cute little return missionary and were all crowed around him hugging, crying, and talking. The other family was anxiously waiting for their man of the hour. And then I realized I had gotten off the bus a little early and was in the wrong terminal. I wasn't mad, how could I be after witnessing such events. I went to the next terminal. Same story taking place there. It was so energizing. I fed off of their excitement and it made my day better.

The airport can be such an interesting place if you let it be. Everyone there has a story. You can witness so many expressions of emotion. There are happy reunions, tear filled goodbyes, lovers, families, people who are grieving, people excitedly waiting for the adventure some place faraway. It can be quite amazing.

As I walked through the airport yesterday I was very attentive to the people around me. I passed one of those young missionaries as he made his way through the airport to greet his family and meet the next adventure that life would soon be unfolding for him. I could sense his excitement. It was SWEET! I couldn't help but feel a little excited for the day that my family would gather in the airport to greet a handsome returned missionary named Cooper and Luka or a beautiful glowing Savannah, Ava or maybe even a Becca! It made my heart beat faster to think that one day I would get to be a part of that.

I saw a handsome man in uniform bidding farewell to his wife and family. Lots of tears. I can't even begin to imagine all the emotions they were feeling that day. Fear, sadness, anxiety.............. Maybe this would be there last farewell or maybe they will have one of those happy reunions one day. Who knows?

It turns out that my flight was leaving out of the same gate me and Sharon left to Hawaii on. I remember the way I felt that day. I was one of those happy travelers waiting to meet their next great adventure. I had a hard time just sitting there waiting for my flight. I think that was one of the most exciting days of my life! I thought of the times that had found me crying waiting for a flight. Like the night I flew to Utah to say goodbye to my Grandmother who's days on earth were numbered. I was sad and scared of the unknown territory I was traveling into. I remembered the excitement I felt the day I flew into Utah just weeks after Ava was born. Katie was waiting for me and was all ready crying by the time we got there. She met her niece for the first time. It was one of those tender moments.

All of the recent life changing events I have been experiencing lately have given me the chance to step back and look at the world. There seems to be never a dull moment. Life never stops. There is always a new adventure waiting for when we least expect it. I am trying to be thankful for even the hard things that I face in life. What am I supposed to learn? How can they make me better, stronger, and maybe even a happier? I am also trying to look at everything in my life that if is beautiful. I am truly blessed! I know that I have a loving Heavenly Father who wants me to be happy. He wants me to have joy but that sometimes we have to experience the refiners fire to find that joy. I know it is out there and that I will find it!

6 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

That was very touching.

Sharon said...

That was very insightful. I loved it when my sons came home from their mission. It was so good to have them back home. I am looking forward to throwing my arms around Cameron and giving him a giant hug when I see him again someday. What an exciting reunion that will be.

Unknown said...

great post- every time I see those missionaries I think the same thing- especially about Casey and Colin- tomorrow they will have been out for 6 months! I also think about how Doug and Sue never go that- life is so full of things. I am glad we have each other to experience them.

Grammy said...

Julie, it seems that the more life throws out at you, the more you take that experience and learn and grow from it. I am so amazed at your perception, your insight, and your ability to find the good. When we can find the good, then our lives are sweet. It's like having "a spoonful of sugar of sugar makes the medicine go down" mentality. I am certainly looking forward to my next trip to the airport . . . that will be to pick up you and Ava for Thankssgiving!

Kori said...

Well said! I love to "people watch, too. Definitely humbling.

Rachel said...

Julie, I love this post. It reminded me of the day I left for my mission, surrounded my friends and family and then coming home those MANY months later and walking into their arms again. I loved how you described the families and the missionaries and how life is a series of stories weaved together. Every day we are creating our own story. Just look at the amazing story that you are creating for yourself and Ava. Keep being strong and looking for the good in your life.