Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My sweet Grandma.....


At the temple in June


April 2008


Today is a sad day for my family. My dear sweet Grandma passed away in the early hours of the morning. We new her days here with us were numbered. I was planning to go say goodbye after school today. Oh I wish I would have gone last night! My grandma was one of the sweetest people in the world. My life has been greatly blessed by her! I went to Logan with Katie last week to see her. All I could do was just sit there and cry while she held my hand and stroked my hair. She just kept telling me how beautiful I was and how much she loved me. At one point she commented on how dry my hands were and that I should take better care of them. She told me to go get some cream so she could rub it on my hands for me. See, that is what kind of woman she was, always caring for the ones she loved. This summer when I went to the temple, my Grandma walked in wearing the same dress. She excitedly sat down by me and said I am so glad that we are finally twins. It was so cute! I remember thinking at one point while sitting there that that would be the only time I would probably be there with her. I am so thankful to have had that experience with her.

When I was in the fourth grade I did a report about my Grandma Clark. She wrote a brief history of her life for me. Last May I found it while going through some of my old stuff. I will cherish it always! She wrote about how the day she was born how her father was working on the Boulder Dam in Nevada so her mother was staying with her parents. She was born on March 14th when the weather was usually warm but how that year it was snowy and the roads were closed. Her Grandfather pulled her mother in a horse drawn sleigh to the main junction where her uncle Dick met them with the car to drive her mother to the hospital. Soon after that they went to live with her father. Their house was on stilts and she could remember that they had large turtles that lived under the porch and she and her sister, Glenna, would ride them.

She wrote about how her mother said she could swim before she could walk! Now I know I must have inherited my love of the water from my sweet Grandmother. She wrote about marrying my Grandpa and how much she loved being a wife and mother. She loved sports, working in her yard, cooking and quilting. She shared some of her favorite memories of my Dad. How he loved to work with his father and Grandfather. She said my Dad was a great example for the rest of his family, he was a good athlete, dedicated worker, always kept his word, and that he always respected other people. I am so thankful to Grandma and Grandpa for raising my Dad to have all these qualities! They are things that I admire about him and learned from him as well.

A few years ago Katie and I went to a bridal shower for one of my cousins at my Grandma's house. We got there early and my Grandma told me about how she and her cousin snuck out one night and took the car out so she could learn to drive! It was so funny to hear her tell the story and know that once she was doing the same type of things I myself did as a teenager. Just one last thing......... My Grandma has the biggest sweet tooth of anyone I know! I get that from her too, I guess. She would always be prepared with an ice cold pepsi and piece of chocolate from her secret stash. She would grab me a can and then I would wait while she would go to her secret hiding place for her box of Sees chocolates and then I would get to pick ONE, and just one! But she really did know that sometimes that cold pepsi and chocolate could really make you feel a little better. Tomorrow I will stop to get a box of chocolates, and drink a Pepsi in memory of her.

10 comments:

Carly said...

So sorry to hear about your grandma, she was a sweet lady. Thanks for sharing the neat memories. Your family is in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Great post. We are so blessed to have had two wonderful grandmothers. I imagined them hugging together in heaven today.

Adrienne Hansen said...

Julie, thanks for the great stories! She was an incredible woman and held a special place in the hearts of all those who knew her. I know that I will miss her! I already told Katie this, but if either of you need anything right now, please let me know!

Jamie and Family said...

I am currently drinking a Pepsi, and you made me feel better about it because now it is in memory of Grandma Clark!!! :-)

Such sad news. Thanks for a great post about her.

Janessa Couch said...

I bet you are so glad that you remember those sweet stories about your grandmother. I would drive my grandma around and she would tell me stories about the "good ole days". Oh, how I wish that I had a voice recorder. Her stories will be fun for you to share with Ava. I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Grammy said...

Julie what a beautiful tribute to Grandma. I know she loved all of her grandchildren very much. We are all very lucky to have had her in our lives. We will always enjoy sharing our memories of her, and we will smile when we think of her. She was a very kind and sweet lady. An angel on earth for sure!

Allan and Diane said...

We were so sad to learn about Grandma Carol. She seems like part of our family. She was surely an elect lady and will always be remembered for her soft heart and yet spunky outlook on life. You are a blessed part of her heritage.

Tori said...

I love all of your memories of her and the fact that you have the paper you wrote is amazing! She truly was a caring and thoughtful person, she'll be missed greatly!

Heidi Sue said...

I hope that you are ok, know that our prayers are with you and your family.

Chris Grover said...

very sweet post, jules. we heard about your grandma from jason and realize it is a sad thing for everyone to have to say goodbye to someone so special. good thing it's not a forever good-bye, huh?