Monday, December 15, 2008

A memory.......


Yesterday morning I woke up and opened the front blinds. The world was covered in a blanket of white and there were giant icicles hanging right in front of the window. Seeing them took me back in time to a morning years ago......

I was probably 9 or 10. We were traveling back to Utah for a visit. I don't remember all the details of the trip but I just remember that we were driving with my Clark Grandparents in our black for explorer. We ran into a terrible blizzard along our trip. I remember being terrified. Seriously probably one of the times in my life I can remember feeling really really scared. We could see nothing on the road. The wind was blowing snow every where! Occasionally we would see cars and semis off the road as we would pass them. We pulled over for my Grandpa to drive. We put the seat down in the back. My Mom, Katie and I laid in the back and sang girls camp songs to try and take our minds off of what was happening. I was really freaked out by it all. Growing up in California it was my first "real" snow experience.

I must have fallen asleep because the next morning I awoke in the safety of the "blue" room at my Grandma Clarks. I remember waking up and looking out and seeing giants icicles in the window. I was amazed! I thought they were so magically beautiful! I was so excited by the winter wonderland that was just outside the window! And the best part of it was being at my Grandma's house because that in itself was always a magical thing for me as a young girl.

Seeing all the snow yesterday made me miss her. I know she would have loved the beauty of it, despite the coldness of it. Because that is who she was, she always saw the beauty. I hurried into my room to wake Ava and show her what had taken place while she slept. She was so excited and just said WOW when she saw it. Even though snow is not my favorite thing now, I want her to experience the magic of waking up to the miracle of snow. Because it is truly a beautiful thing! Even if it is cold and wet and needs to be shoveled and it makes me look like a dork cause I always manage to fall in public once a winter because of it.

3 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

The icicles look amazing. Growing up in Wyoming I remember seeing icicles that went from the top of the house to the bottom of the grass. They were amazing and huge. That is a very sweet memory of your Grandparents.

Grammy said...

I remember that treacherous journey,too. Do you remember that we stopped in southern Utah for some dinner because of the storm? I have always loved singing the camp songs when we were driving. And yes, your grandma loved the snow. She loved the beauty of all the seasons. Treasure your memories of her, and keep making good memories for Ava. I love you!

Unknown said...

I remember that. And now, having driven in snow like that I don't know how grandpa didn't want to KILL us so he could have complete silence to concentrate HA.